Wednesday, 31 December 2014

Happy New Year!

For me, the New Year is a time of reflection and resolution, looking back on lessons learned in 2014 and figuring out how to take those lessons forward into 2015. It's about leaving the bad behind and going into the New Year with a mind focussed on achieving my new goals.

(x)

Apparently, choosing no more than three resolutions means that you're more likely to stick to them (and I really like the number three), so I've chosen three things to let go of and three resolutions. If you'd like to, you can share your three things and three resolutions in the comments and we can all help each other to stick to them in 2015!

Things to let go of:

1) Uncertainty in myself. I spend so much time second guessing every decision, every move I make, that I hardly ever get things done and end up feeling disappointed and regretful. I'm going to let go of this uncertainty and go into 2015 telling myself that I can do things, rather than asking myself if I can do things.

2) Negative thoughts. Sometimes the things that I think and tell myself really get me down, and I know that this needs to stop. If I don't like something, instead of whining and moaning and being miserable about it, I need to learn to change it. I'm letting go of all the negativity I've carried around with me this year to go into 2015 as a happy and positive person.

3) Regrets. For several reasons, there are many opportunities that I have missed in the past. It's time to stop thinking 'what if' and just move on. The past is the past, and it can't be changed, so in 2015 I'll be focussed more on the present and the future, as opposed to dwelling on things that I missed out on through my own fault.

Resolutions:

1) Lose weight. Yes, I know. How stereotypical can you get? But for sixteen years, I've been eating whatever I want and doing minimal exercise, and in the past year I've gone up about two dress sizes. I hate the way I look, I hate the way I feel, and I'm going to do something about it. My mum and I are going to do the 5 : 2 diet and I'm going to actually do the NHS Couch to 5K programme. It's time for me to get off my butt and become fitter, healthier, and (hopefully!) happier in the way I look and feel.

2) Be more open. I am a shy person. I do not like strangers, I do not like big groups of people, I do not like talking about myself. If there is something troubling me, instead of opening up to my friends I shut them out and tell myself that dealing with it on my own is better than getting everyone else worried about me. I know that I can tell my friends anything, yet I don't. In 2015, I'm going to open up to people more and accept their help in my problems. You can't do everything on your own, after all.

3) Help people more. Sometimes I see people struggling with something, whether that's a load of shopping or something much more emotional and personal, and I think about offering my help and then decide that it's none of my business. I think that in 2015, I want to be able to offer my help without feeling as though I'm butting in: if they don't want my help then they can just decline and we'll just go off and do our own things. It can't be that bad, can it?

So there we go. Please feel free to share your things to let go of and your resolutions in the comments, because A) I'm nosey and B) I think it would be great if we could all help each other out!

2 comments:

  1. Good luck with your resolutions - I really want to start being more open as well, but that's somethingn I've been working on for a while now aha!

    The Velvet Black // UK Style, Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you! Yeah it's definitely a tough one - perhaps it'll have to be a resolution for the next thirty years straight!

      Delete