Tuesday, 4 November 2014

Things I want to do before I turn 18

Today's my birthday, and that means I'm sixteen. I know this is stupid, but that feels really quite old to me. When I was a little girl I used to think of sixteen-year-old girls as really, really grown up, and I guess that idea has stuck. Which kind of scares me, because I am not particularly grown up.

But I guess now is as good a time as any, so I've decided to make a list of things I want to do before I turn 18 (which is even more grown up *shudders*)! I might do a reply post to this when the time comes, who know?

1) Make more friends
I am blessed to have a fairly large circle of friends that I am very close to. Of course, we have our occasional fights, but at the end of the day I know these girls will have my back through thick and thin. However, I very rarely venture out of my group of friends. When we're put into groups at school I'm hardly ever in a group of people I know particularly well, and instead of being friendly and getting to know people I just kind of shut down. I don't like meeting new people, and I'd love to change that. So hopefully by the time I'm 18, I'll have come out of my shell a bit and will be able to make friends with anyone and everyone!

(x)

2) Learn to cook
I would like to go to university, and I can't expect my mum to be mailing me my meals at that point, now can I? I have always envied people that can look in a fridge and throw a bunch of stuff together into a phenomenal three course meal. However, I think I'll start from the bottom and learn a few more recipes that I can prepare from scratch, adding more as I go along. I can do this with a simple cake, so I should be able to do it with a roast dinner, right?

(x)

3) Lose weight
It was probably about Year 4 when I started to become conscious about my weight and the shape of my body (hitting puberty a good few years before all of my friends didn't help). Seven years have passed since then and I've done next to nothing about it. I think it's about time I made myself happy with my body shape and my fitness. I aim to eat a bit healthier and excercise a bit more, hopefully shedding a few pounds while I'm at it. A healthier me should be a happier me, so it can't be a bad thing to try!

(x)

4) Don't be such a pushover
There's a difference between being polite and being a doormat. I need to learn to stick up for myself and say no to people before I end up burning myself out trying to please everyone! I need to learn how to say 'no' to people, how to stop saying 'sorry' for things that weren't my fault and not feeling guilty every time I do something nice for myself. I matter too!


(x)

5) Learn to make mistakes
I often won't put myself out for things because I'm scared of making mistakes. I constantly feel like people are judging me, and therefore every time I mess up or get something wrong I just feel humiliated and defeated. I think it's about time I got over this, because when other people make mistakes I don't even care, so why do I feel like people hate me every time I do?


(x)

6) Learn to play guitar
I've been saying for ages that I would like to learn how to play the guitar, and tutorials online may be the way to get there because at the moment I have too much on to be able to take official music lessons. I feel like learning to play a couple of songs would make me feel like I've accomplished something I've wanted for years.


(x)
7) Dye my hair
I don't know what colour, but I want to dye my hair. At the moment I'm thinking maybe a nice brunette or deep red, or I might go crazy and go with turquoise and hot pink! It's just something I want to do - I don't really have a reason.

(x)

8) Make a portfolio of artwork that I'm actually proud of
I need to do this anyway to get into college next year or university further down the line, but I feel like it's something I should be aiming for by the time I'm eighteen. By then I like to think I'll know what kind of art I enjoy doing and what I feel looks best, and it would be nice to see it all in one organised portfolio.

(mine!)

Do/did you have goals to reach between sixteen and eighteen? Did you achieve them? Do you think setting these kinds of goals are a good idea when you're growing up? Leave me a comment!


6 comments:

  1. I wish i'd dyed my hair a crazy colour when I was younger! I did have goals that I set myself before I turned 18 that were quite similar to this, I wanted to get out there more and step out of my comfort zone with my friendship group and be a healthier me. I think it's good to have goals as long as you don't get frustrated if you're not completing them! I put a lot of pressure on myself to do certain things and spent more time worrying about the fact that I was running out of time to do them instead of just doing them! :)

    Love Amylou x
    www.amylous.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the same with that - perhaps I should add 'chill out more' to my list haha :L

      Delete
  2. I've had pink hair before! You only live once, go for it :) But a nice natural colour sounds just as good. I hope you're having a lovely week.

    www.kelsabelle.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So jealous! Bet it looked fab! Yeah, I'm thinking of just deep red at the moment because I've still got school rules RUINING MY LIFE haha but when I'm done with school I think that I definitely will.

      Delete
  3. Such a lovely post I really wanna make a list like this now. this is so inspirational. keep your blog up I love it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you so much! Go for it - it's nice to have a list of your goals to just keep looking back at! Thank you and good luck with your future goals (whether you blog about them or not ;)) x

      Delete