Sunday, 19 October 2014

How To: Halloween-Inspired Bunting

I always like to try a few new ideas for Halloween decorations, and this is one that I've been having a go at recently!


 Equipment:
-A4 paper
-Ruler
-Pencil
-Halloween-y (?) Fabrics
-Fabric Scissors
-Needle and Thread

 1) Fold the A4 paper in half and measure 15cm from the top two corners to the centre fold. Make up the cobweb effect by having a 1cm wide line up the middle of the triangle and two 1cm wide lines as each side. Draw in the curves that make up the web and cut out the pattern.

2) Pin the pattern to the first piece of fabric and cut it out. Remove the pins, and you've got your first flag!



3) Continue cutting out the flags until you have the number you want. As some of the prints on my fabric were a bit big and would have possibly been spoiled by the cobweb effect, I left them as plain triangles. Lay out your flags in the order you want them. This will help you to see how your bunting will look.


 4) Overlap two of the flags in the top corners and sew a few stitches to keep them together. Continue along the bunting in this way.
  


 5) Make a loop at either end of the bunting to hang it up. I did this by wrapping the thread around my finger instead of pulling it all the way through the fabric.


 And that's it!


 If you decide to give this a go, let me know!
Thoughts? Questions? Leave me a comment!

 Find me:

4 comments:

  1. This is so cute! I love it, so creative. I always struggle to find bunting that I love for different occasions, and I love that you used different designs rather than just triangles too! :) so pretty :)

    Love Amylou x
    www.amylous.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I saw a bunch of Halloween-style fabrics and I immediately knew I had to make something like this! I was pleased with how it came out :)

      Delete
  2. This is so cute. I love Halloween decorations and it's great that you've made your own! I wish I was better at DIY, but I'm not a very creative person to be honest.

    vvnightingale.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! :) I'm glad you like the look of it.

    ReplyDelete