Wednesday, 8 October 2014

Baking: Vanilla Cake Pops

Today, a bunch of my friends and I decided to watch the final of this year's 'Great British Bake Off' together. We'd been told to do a bit of baking for the evening, so I made some vanilla cake pops - and they're pink! (This is exciting okay stop judging me.)

Ingredients
For the cake pops
125g Stork margarine
125g caster sugar
125g self raising flour
2 eggs
1tbs vanilla extract
Pink food colouring

For the icing
Icing sugar
Warm water
Pink food colouring

Equipment
A bowl
Electric whisk (you can do this by hand but it's quicker if you use an electric whisk!)
A jug
A cake pop mould
Cake Pop/lolipop sticks 

Making the Cake Pops:
1) Preheat the oven to 180C, 160C fan, or gas mark 4.

2) Cream together the margarine and sugar. It will be a yellow/white colour when ready.


3) Sift the flour into the bowl.


4) Beat the eggs together in the jug and pour them into the bowl.


5) Add the vanilla essence.


6) Fold together until everything is combined.


7) Add in the pink food colouring, drop by drop, stirring as you go. Continue adding colouring until you are happy with the colour.



 8) Spoon the mixture into a cake pop mould. I tend to fill my moulds to just above halfway, as I find that this allows them to fill the mould without bursting out of the top.



9) Seal the mould and chuck (not literally) them in the oven for about 15-20 minutes!


10) When they are done, pop them out of the mould and allow them to cool on a cooling rack until they are completely cool. It is a good idea if the rack is raised up a few inches if possible.


Decorating
1) Sift some icing sugar (I went with roughly 150g) into a bowl and add around a teaspoon of vanilla extract along with a few drops of food colouring.



2) Add a few drops of water and stir. Add more water as you go until you reach a consistency that is quite thick. Too runny, and it will just run off the cake pops, but too thick will mean that you won't be able to get it on them in the first place.


3) Dip the end of one of the lolipop sticks into the icing before carefully inserting it into the cake pop. Be sure not to push it all the way through the top!


 4) Now you just have to pour the icing over, turning the stick as you go so that you get an even coverage and no icing is spilled all over the counter! (I write that from experience shh.)

 

5) Add whatever other toppings you want, and allow the icing to set before enjoying your cake pops!


Thoughts? Questions? Leave me a comment!

2 comments:

  1. I love cake pops, these look so good! I can never decorate mine well, the icing just goes all over! But yours look great! I love that you made your own icing too instead of the candy melts that a lot of people use, such a nice homemade touch!

    Love Amylou x
    www.amylous.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I wouldn't take pictures of the icing I managed to get everywhere! I kind of wish I didn't go to the hassle of icing - the consistency is impossible to get right! :L
    Hannah x

    ReplyDelete